Project undertaken using PSiCA funding
These Grade II* listed buildings are located in St. Mary’s Gate, in the centre of Derby, and date to the early-mid eighteenth century. Both properties had sustained damage to their roofs and building fabric, resulting in water ingress. The historic rainwater goods were missing and an inappropriate cement-based render had been also been applied to to the rear and the roof parapet.
Repairs were made to the fabric of the building where necessary. This included the replacement of the cement render to the rear of the property with lime, the repair of the stone parapet and roof covering, the reinstatement of cast iron rainwater goods and repairs to the timber windows and stone sills. Though previously vacant prior to the scheme, the buildings were soon used as offices following the completion of the works.
This shop on Wardwick forms part of a row of three units, all located within a single Grade II-listed building, which dates to the early eighteenth century. Although some historic elements of the frontage had survived, such as the pilasters and cornice, an inappropriate modern shop front had been inserted into the aperture. In order to remedy this, the inappropriate elements were removed, and a new design approved to reflect the historic character of the wider property. The new frontage was constructed in hardwood timber, with a central recessed opening and glazed brick stall riser. The unit became a bar following the completion of the works.
This early twentieth-century property, located on Queen Street, features three separate shops units. Prior to the grant, the property comprised of two unappealing units, dominated by modern alterations which had been installed during the second half of the Twentieth century. Some historic features were still present, particularly at No. 50. The shop window details in this unit, dating to the 1930’s, were used as a reference for the frontages which were reinstated along the remainder of the row. Some repairs were also made to the surviving historic building fabric, including the cast concrete pilasters. The new shop fronts were in hardwood timber, featuring recessed entrances with ramps, and glazed brick stall risers. Following their completion, the units remained in retail use.
This Grade II-listed property is located in Sadler Gate and dates to the mid-nineteenth century. Prior to the grant-funded works, the building was vacant and held back by an unappealing, modern frontage with a visibly tired-looking appearance. The existing, recessed frontage was removed in its entirety and an appropriate historic shop front was then reinstated, featuring decorative pilasters and suitably-proportioned fascia. The recess was restricted to the entrance way, bringing the remainder of the frontage forward. The side entrance was fitted with a suitable new door. The property was occupied by a barbers soon after the works were completed.
This row of shops occupies a prominent corner position at the junction of Queen St and Cathedral Road. Although unlisted, it retained a number of historic features which contributed to the character of the wider conservation area. The property dates to the 1930’s, and prior to the grant had been subject to decades of neglect and damage. In order to return the building to its former glory, a comprehensive schedule of works was devised to repair the existing bronze shop fronts and reinstate the associated oak doors. The property continues to be occupied by a mix of independent local businesses, following the completion of the works.
This pair of shops on Wardwick was constructed in 1898, with shop fronts part of the design as opposed to a later addition. Despite being unlisted, the building has a significant positive impact on this historic row within Wardwick. Despite some surviving details in the shop surrounds and beneath later additions, many of the historic features of each retail unit had been lost. Through the grant scheme, the resultant inappropriate, modern shop fronts were to be removed, and suitable designs based upon historic evidence were to be reinstated. The historic surrounds, including pilasters and fascia, were also repaired where they had been damaged by later works or had deteriorated.