The property is not statutorily designated
No 45-53 Green Lane is an unlisted former Primitive Methodist Church, now known as Green Lane House. The building is situated at the junction of Green Lane and St. Peter’s Churchyard and is a major landmark within the St. Peter’s and Green Lane conservation area. It was originally constructed in 1878 and designed by the architects Giles & Brookhouse in the Romanesque style. The building is highly decorative in both street-facing elevations, making excellent use of yellow “gault bricks” and terracotta detailing.
During the Twentieth century, significant harmful alterations were made to the building, most notably at ground floor level. Above, there were damaged and concealed windows, deteriorated detailing, and issues with the roof and rainwater disposal systems, including substantial vegetation growth. The remedial works have primarily involved the removal of the render and later accretions, followed by the reinstatement of lost or covered windows, the reinstatement of an appropriate entrance, and repairs to the terracotta, stonework and brickwork detailing, to match the existing. Repairs have also been made to the roof and rainwater disposal systems to prevent future water ingress.
The project was identified as a key priority through the Townscape Heritage Initiative and a grant of £300,000 was offered to undertake the works necessary to improve the building. Prior to the works, the building had been vacant, but is now aimed at functioning as a multi-use arts space.
This early twentieth-century property, located on Queen Street, features three separate shops units. Prior to the grant, the property comprised of two unappealing units, dominated by modern alterations which had been installed during the second half of the Twentieth century. Some historic features were still present, particularly at No. 50. The shop window details in this unit, dating to the 1930’s, were used as a reference for the frontages which were reinstated along the remainder of the row. Some repairs were also made to the surviving historic building fabric, including the cast concrete pilasters. The new shop fronts were in hardwood timber, featuring recessed entrances with ramps, and glazed brick stall risers. Following their completion, the units remained in retail use.
This row of shops occupies a prominent corner position at the junction of Queen St and Cathedral Road. Although unlisted, it retained a number of historic features which contributed to the character of the wider conservation area. The property dates to the 1930’s, and prior to the grant had been subject to decades of neglect and damage. In order to return the building to its former glory, a comprehensive schedule of works was devised to repair the existing bronze shop fronts and reinstate the associated oak doors. The property continues to be occupied by a mix of independent local businesses, following the completion of the works.
This pair of shops on Wardwick was constructed in 1898, with shop fronts part of the design as opposed to a later addition. Despite being unlisted, the building has a significant positive impact on this historic row within Wardwick. Despite some surviving details in the shop surrounds and beneath later additions, many of the historic features of each retail unit had been lost. Through the grant scheme, the resultant inappropriate, modern shop fronts were to be removed, and suitable designs based upon historic evidence were to be reinstated. The historic surrounds, including pilasters and fascia, were also repaired where they had been damaged by later works or had deteriorated.
Located on Sadler Gate, No. 26-27 is an unlisted late-Victorian property in close proximity to seven designated heritage assets. Prior to the grant, the property had been fitted with an modern shop front which was inappropriate for the building, and which negatively impacted upon the historic setting of Sadler Gate. A new frontage was reinstated, with the design reflecting the late-Victorian age of the property and the surrounding buildings. This previously vacant building was soon occupied by a new retailer.
No 29 Sadler Gate is situated at the western end of the street, close to the site of Sadler Gater Bridge. Though unlisted, the property appears to date to the late-eighteenth/early nineteenth century, and is surrounded by buildings of similar historic value. The shop front retained a number of historic details, with a number of twentieth century alterations and changes. This was also the case at first-floor level, where a large window which extended the width of the building, had been installed in the 1920s, replacing the earlier sashes.
Through the PSiCA, the traditional shop front was reinstated, based upon historic evidence. The historic shop surround was repaired, with any decayed timber spliced with new hardwood. At first floor level, the picture window was removed and three sash windows were reinstated, based upon the historic layout. The property was not vacant at the time of the work, but continued in the same use following its completion.
No. 40 Curzon Street is a public house, known as the Crown Inn. The building is unlisted and appears to date to the nineteenth century. The building was in dire need of repair, with the frontage cracking in the upper floors and missing in parts, including missing stone lintels. The roof of the property was also leaking. A number of stonework repairs and reinstatements were undertaken to rectify the issues, as well as repairs to ensure the water-tightness of the roof. The property has continued in use as a public house since the completion of the works.
The upper floors of this incredible, unlisted building had been neglected for decades. The roof had leaked extensively, causing damage to the building fabric, and many windows were deteriorating significantly. The causes of the damage were identified and the necessary repairs were undertaken to remedy any problems which were uncovered. This included repairs to many of the windows, with rotten timber being spliced with new hardwood.
Located at the top of Green Lane, the Trinity Baptist Church is an unlisted chapel, dating to 1879. It was designed by Lawrence Bright of Nottingham in the Romanesque style and is constructed in brick, with some stone and polychrome brickwork detailing. Prior to the grant, the property showed signs of deterioration and damage in the building fabric. The main window was in a poor state of repair, the masonry needed repointing and the access door was also deteriorating.
The damage to the primary window was repaired and the entire elevation was repointed. The damage which had occurred to the entrance doors was also addressed. The church continues to function as a religious building, following the completion of the works.
This unlisted property is located in Sadler Gate. Its exact age is unclear, however there are suggestions that it may have been refronted during the early nineteenth century. There were few sources which revealed the property’s historic appearance, with many showing the inappropriate shopfront which had been installed during the 1970s. A traditional Victorian-era design was created based on the proportions and layout of the property, the historic research which had been undertaken and using historic examples from the surrounding area as a reference. The resultant shop front makes an excellent contribution to the wider setting of Sadler Gate at the heart of the commercial centre of the conservation area.