The property is Grade II listed
This shop on Wardwick forms part of a row of three units, all located within a single Grade II-listed building, which dates to the early eighteenth century. Although some historic elements of the frontage had survived, such as the pilasters and cornice, an inappropriate modern shop front had been inserted into the aperture. In order to remedy this, the inappropriate elements were removed, and a new design approved to reflect the historic character of the wider property. The new frontage was constructed in hardwood timber, with a central recessed opening and glazed brick stall riser. The unit became a bar following the completion of the works.
This Grade II-listed property is located in Sadler Gate and dates to the mid-nineteenth century. Prior to the grant-funded works, the building was vacant and held back by an unappealing, modern frontage with a visibly tired-looking appearance. The existing, recessed frontage was removed in its entirety and an appropriate historic shop front was then reinstated, featuring decorative pilasters and suitably-proportioned fascia. The recess was restricted to the entrance way, bringing the remainder of the frontage forward. The side entrance was fitted with a suitable new door. The property was occupied by a barbers soon after the works were completed.
This parade of Grade II listed shops is at the centre of an attractive row of historic properties, located in Wardwick in the centre of Derby. Numbers 49-55 occupy a mid eighteenth-century building, which was converted to commercial use in the nineteenth century. Number 57, despite being of a later date (1890s), unlisted and in a completely different architectural style – was connected to its earlier neighbour through the surviving details of their historic shop fronts.
Through the PSiCA scheme, the unattractive, modern features of each property were removed. The surviving details of the late-Victorian/Edwardian era shop fronts were used to inform the design of the whole row. A continued mixture of commercial businesses continued to occupy the premises after the completion of the works.
Located on Wardwick, this Grade II-listed building features three separate retail units and a separate access to the upper floors. The property was originally constructed as a dwelling, likely around the late-seventeenth/early-eighteenth century, before being adapted for retail use during the late-nineteenth century. Prior to the scheme, the units had a variety of problems which needed to be resolved, including the installation of inappropriate shop fronts and signage during the twentieth-century, advanced decay on a surviving historic door and its surrounds, and the deterioration of the upper floors of the property.
Through the PSiCA scheme, the original Victorian-era shop fronts were reinstated, based on historic evidence, as well as the historic door. The surviving shop surrounds, including pilasters and fascia, were repaired where possible, or reinstated to their original design. The issues within the upper floors were also resolved, including repairs to the render and a reconfiguration of the rainwater goods.
This small parade of shops is located within the Strand Arcade, which connects The Strand to Sadler Gate. The Arcade was constructed between 1874 and 1878 by Sir Abraham Woodiwiss, and designed by John S Story. It was the first arcade to be built in Derby. The arcade itself is not listed, however the entrance in the Strand is Grade II, as part of the wider street group.
The roof of the arcade had recently been repaired in 2006 during the Townscape Heritage Initiative, however a number of the retail units had been altered during modern times and suffered from years of neglect, resulting in missing stone pilasters and capitals. Using surviving historic details from nearby units as a reference and details which were uncovered beneath later alterations, new shop fronts and a lost pilaster were reinstated to return the units to their previous grandeur. Although the units had been vacant prior to the works, they were soon occupied by a mix of new retailers.
This timber frame of this property in Iron Gate may date to the sixteenth century, though it features a number of additions from later centuries. The property is Grade II-listed, and at the time of the grant had had its original lead pipe stolen and was suffering from deterioration of its building fabric. A small grant was offered through the PSiCA to reinstate the lost lead pipe and to conduct urgent repairs to the visible cracks in the render, in order to halt any further deterioration of the structure.
The Royal Building is a Grade II-listed landmark property, located at the corner of Cornmarket and Victoria Street. It was designed between 1837-9 by Robert Wallace, to be constructed after the culverting of Markeaton Brook, which previously flowed along the route of Victoria Street. The building was functioned as a hotel, known as the Royal Hotel, until 1951. It was also the meeting place of the Athenaeum Club, which occupied much of the Victoria Street elevation, and as a post office.
The building, required a multitude of repairs at the time of the grant, and had been subject to numerous inappropriate modern alterations. The repair schedule include works to the timber windows in the upper floors and the restoration of the building fabric, including stonework. The works also included the reinstatement of some of the 1930s-style timber shop fronts to replace the inappropriate modern frontages that had been installed in their place. The property was vacant prior to the works being undertaken, but is now occupied by a national restaurant chain at first floor level. A number of additional shop front reinstatements have been undertaken along the Victoria Street elevation as part of the Townscape Heritage scheme.
This stunning parade of Grade II-listed shops was constructed in 1881 by Sir Abraham Woodiwiss, as part of the redevelopment of this area of Derby, following the culverting of Markeaton Brook. When originally constructed, each shop had followed a consistent typology of matching frontages. Over time this had gradually degraded through alterations and been lost. The upper floors of the property and some of the stonework detailing had also fallen into disrepair, with some features also being lost.
Some works had been undertaken through a prior THI scheme. The PSiCA sought to extend the regeneration work to more of the units in order to realise the lost consistency of the parade and create a vibrant and attractive shopping precinct. In order to achieve this, a number of shop fronts were reinstated, based upon their historic designs, featuring awnings and blind boxes. Stonework repair and reinstatement was also undertaken to remedy the damage which had occurred to a number of decorative features in the lower and upper floors of the building. Following works conducted through the PSiCA scheme, vacancy in the Strand and Strand Arcade dropped from 9 units to 0.
This Grade II-listed building dates to the late-eighteenth/early-nineteenth century. Although it had retained its historic shopfront, a number of repairs and remedial works were required to ensure its longevity. A ground floor sash window had also previously been removed on the St Mary’s Gate elevation, replaced by a modern casement which was covered with signage.
Through the grant, the cement render was removed from the stall riser and plinth, and repairs were then made to the underlying stonework, including the introduction of ventilation holes. Localised repairs were made to the shop front, which was then repainted. In the St Mary’s Gate elevation, the signage and later casement window were removed and a sliding sash was reinstated, using the profiles of the surrounding windows. The property continued in the same retail use once the works were completed.
No. 9 is a four-storey, Grade II-listed property located in Iron Gate, constructed in yellow brick with polychrome details. The property dates to the late-nineteenth century, and connects to a 1960’s extension, forming a department store. An inappropriate modern shop front had previously been installed and the decision was made to reinstate the shop front based upon photographic evidence from the 1930s. While this was not contemporaneous with the age of the property, it did reflect the Art Deco interior of the store and other similar shop fronts in the surrounding area of the same period.
The modern shop front was removed and a new black granite surround was installed, along with a hardwood frame with bronze finish. Separate works were also undertaken to improve the frontage of the neighbouring 1960s property.