Project involved reinstating a shopfront
This shop on Wardwick forms part of a row of three units, all located within a single Grade II-listed building, which dates to the early eighteenth century. Although some historic elements of the frontage had survived, such as the pilasters and cornice, an inappropriate modern shop front had been inserted into the aperture. In order to remedy this, the inappropriate elements were removed, and a new design approved to reflect the historic character of the wider property. The new frontage was constructed in hardwood timber, with a central recessed opening and glazed brick stall riser. The unit became a bar following the completion of the works.
This early twentieth-century property, located on Queen Street, features three separate shops units. Prior to the grant, the property comprised of two unappealing units, dominated by modern alterations which had been installed during the second half of the Twentieth century. Some historic features were still present, particularly at No. 50. The shop window details in this unit, dating to the 1930’s, were used as a reference for the frontages which were reinstated along the remainder of the row. Some repairs were also made to the surviving historic building fabric, including the cast concrete pilasters. The new shop fronts were in hardwood timber, featuring recessed entrances with ramps, and glazed brick stall risers. Following their completion, the units remained in retail use.
This Grade II-listed property is located in Sadler Gate and dates to the mid-nineteenth century. Prior to the grant-funded works, the building was vacant and held back by an unappealing, modern frontage with a visibly tired-looking appearance. The existing, recessed frontage was removed in its entirety and an appropriate historic shop front was then reinstated, featuring decorative pilasters and suitably-proportioned fascia. The recess was restricted to the entrance way, bringing the remainder of the frontage forward. The side entrance was fitted with a suitable new door. The property was occupied by a barbers soon after the works were completed.
This pair of shops on Wardwick was constructed in 1898, with shop fronts part of the design as opposed to a later addition. Despite being unlisted, the building has a significant positive impact on this historic row within Wardwick. Despite some surviving details in the shop surrounds and beneath later additions, many of the historic features of each retail unit had been lost. Through the grant scheme, the resultant inappropriate, modern shop fronts were to be removed, and suitable designs based upon historic evidence were to be reinstated. The historic surrounds, including pilasters and fascia, were also repaired where they had been damaged by later works or had deteriorated.
This parade of Grade II listed shops is at the centre of an attractive row of historic properties, located in Wardwick in the centre of Derby. Numbers 49-55 occupy a mid eighteenth-century building, which was converted to commercial use in the nineteenth century. Number 57, despite being of a later date (1890s), unlisted and in a completely different architectural style – was connected to its earlier neighbour through the surviving details of their historic shop fronts.
Through the PSiCA scheme, the unattractive, modern features of each property were removed. The surviving details of the late-Victorian/Edwardian era shop fronts were used to inform the design of the whole row. A continued mixture of commercial businesses continued to occupy the premises after the completion of the works.
Located on Wardwick, this Grade II-listed building features three separate retail units and a separate access to the upper floors. The property was originally constructed as a dwelling, likely around the late-seventeenth/early-eighteenth century, before being adapted for retail use during the late-nineteenth century. Prior to the scheme, the units had a variety of problems which needed to be resolved, including the installation of inappropriate shop fronts and signage during the twentieth-century, advanced decay on a surviving historic door and its surrounds, and the deterioration of the upper floors of the property.
Through the PSiCA scheme, the original Victorian-era shop fronts were reinstated, based on historic evidence, as well as the historic door. The surviving shop surrounds, including pilasters and fascia, were repaired where possible, or reinstated to their original design. The issues within the upper floors were also resolved, including repairs to the render and a reconfiguration of the rainwater goods.
Located on Sadler Gate, No. 26-27 is an unlisted late-Victorian property in close proximity to seven designated heritage assets. Prior to the grant, the property had been fitted with an modern shop front which was inappropriate for the building, and which negatively impacted upon the historic setting of Sadler Gate. A new frontage was reinstated, with the design reflecting the late-Victorian age of the property and the surrounding buildings. This previously vacant building was soon occupied by a new retailer.
This small parade of shops is located within the Strand Arcade, which connects The Strand to Sadler Gate. The Arcade was constructed between 1874 and 1878 by Sir Abraham Woodiwiss, and designed by John S Story. It was the first arcade to be built in Derby. The arcade itself is not listed, however the entrance in the Strand is Grade II, as part of the wider street group.
The roof of the arcade had recently been repaired in 2006 during the Townscape Heritage Initiative, however a number of the retail units had been altered during modern times and suffered from years of neglect, resulting in missing stone pilasters and capitals. Using surviving historic details from nearby units as a reference and details which were uncovered beneath later alterations, new shop fronts and a lost pilaster were reinstated to return the units to their previous grandeur. Although the units had been vacant prior to the works, they were soon occupied by a mix of new retailers.
No 29 Sadler Gate is situated at the western end of the street, close to the site of Sadler Gater Bridge. Though unlisted, the property appears to date to the late-eighteenth/early nineteenth century, and is surrounded by buildings of similar historic value. The shop front retained a number of historic details, with a number of twentieth century alterations and changes. This was also the case at first-floor level, where a large window which extended the width of the building, had been installed in the 1920s, replacing the earlier sashes.
Through the PSiCA, the traditional shop front was reinstated, based upon historic evidence. The historic shop surround was repaired, with any decayed timber spliced with new hardwood. At first floor level, the picture window was removed and three sash windows were reinstated, based upon the historic layout. The property was not vacant at the time of the work, but continued in the same use following its completion.
The Royal Building is a Grade II-listed landmark property, located at the corner of Cornmarket and Victoria Street. It was designed between 1837-9 by Robert Wallace, to be constructed after the culverting of Markeaton Brook, which previously flowed along the route of Victoria Street. The building was functioned as a hotel, known as the Royal Hotel, until 1951. It was also the meeting place of the Athenaeum Club, which occupied much of the Victoria Street elevation, and as a post office.
The building, required a multitude of repairs at the time of the grant, and had been subject to numerous inappropriate modern alterations. The repair schedule include works to the timber windows in the upper floors and the restoration of the building fabric, including stonework. The works also included the reinstatement of some of the 1930s-style timber shop fronts to replace the inappropriate modern frontages that had been installed in their place. The property was vacant prior to the works being undertaken, but is now occupied by a national restaurant chain at first floor level. A number of additional shop front reinstatements have been undertaken along the Victoria Street elevation as part of the Townscape Heritage scheme.