The property is within a conservation area
No. 45-53 Green Lane
No 45-53 Green Lane is an unlisted former Primitive Methodist Church, now known as Green Lane House. The building is situated at the junction of Green Lane and St. Peter’s Churchyard and is a major landmark within the St. Peter’s and Green Lane conservation area. It was originally constructed in 1878 and designed by the architects Giles & Brookhouse in the Romanesque style. The building is highly decorative in both street-facing elevations, making excellent use of yellow “gault bricks” and terracotta detailing.
During the Twentieth century, significant harmful alterations were made to the building, most notably at ground floor level. Above, there were damaged and concealed windows, deteriorated detailing, and issues with the roof and rainwater disposal systems, including substantial vegetation growth. The remedial works have primarily involved the removal of the render and later accretions, followed by the reinstatement of lost or covered windows, the reinstatement of an appropriate entrance, and repairs to the terracotta, stonework and brickwork detailing, to match the existing. Repairs have also been made to the roof and rainwater disposal systems to prevent future water ingress.
The project was identified as a key priority through the Townscape Heritage Initiative and a grant of £300,000 was offered to undertake the works necessary to improve the building. Prior to the works, the building had been vacant, but is now aimed at functioning as a multi-use arts space.
No. 35-36 St. Mary’s Gate
These Grade II* listed buildings are located in St. Mary’s Gate, in the centre of Derby, and date to the early-mid eighteenth century. Both properties had sustained damage to their roofs and building fabric, resulting in water ingress. The historic rainwater goods were missing and an inappropriate cement-based render had been also been applied to to the rear and the roof parapet.
Repairs were made to the fabric of the building where necessary. This included the replacement of the cement render to the rear of the property with lime, the repair of the stone parapet and roof covering, the reinstatement of cast iron rainwater goods and repairs to the timber windows and stone sills. Though previously vacant prior to the scheme, the buildings were soon used as offices following the completion of the works.
No. 27 Wardwick
This shop on Wardwick forms part of a row of three units, all located within a single Grade II-listed building, which dates to the early eighteenth century. Although some historic elements of the frontage had survived, such as the pilasters and cornice, an inappropriate modern shop front had been inserted into the aperture. In order to remedy this, the inappropriate elements were removed, and a new design approved to reflect the historic character of the wider property. The new frontage was constructed in hardwood timber, with a central recessed opening and glazed brick stall riser. The unit became a bar following the completion of the works.
No. 48, 49 & 50 Queen Street
This early twentieth-century property, located on Queen Street, features three separate shops units. Prior to the grant, the property comprised of two unappealing units, dominated by modern alterations which had been installed during the second half of the Twentieth century. Some historic features were still present, particularly at No. 50. The shop window details in this unit, dating to the 1930’s, were used as a reference for the frontages which were reinstated along the remainder of the row. Some repairs were also made to the surviving historic building fabric, including the cast concrete pilasters. The new shop fronts were in hardwood timber, featuring recessed entrances with ramps, and glazed brick stall risers. Following their completion, the units remained in retail use.
No. 21 Sadler Gate
This Grade II-listed property is located in Sadler Gate and dates to the mid-nineteenth century. Prior to the grant-funded works, the building was vacant and held back by an unappealing, modern frontage with a visibly tired-looking appearance. The existing, recessed frontage was removed in its entirety and an appropriate historic shop front was then reinstated, featuring decorative pilasters and suitably-proportioned fascia. The recess was restricted to the entrance way, bringing the remainder of the frontage forward. The side entrance was fitted with a suitable new door. The property was occupied by a barbers soon after the works were completed.
Nos. 30-33 & 37-38 Queen Street
This row of shops occupies a prominent corner position at the junction of Queen St and Cathedral Road. Although unlisted, it retained a number of historic features which contributed to the character of the wider conservation area. The property dates to the 1930’s, and prior to the grant had been subject to decades of neglect and damage. In order to return the building to its former glory, a comprehensive schedule of works was devised to repair the existing bronze shop fronts and reinstate the associated oak doors. The property continues to be occupied by a mix of independent local businesses, following the completion of the works.
Nos. 59 & 61 Wardwick
This pair of shops on Wardwick was constructed in 1898, with shop fronts part of the design as opposed to a later addition. Despite being unlisted, the building has a significant positive impact on this historic row within Wardwick. Despite some surviving details in the shop surrounds and beneath later additions, many of the historic features of each retail unit had been lost. Through the grant scheme, the resultant inappropriate, modern shop fronts were to be removed, and suitable designs based upon historic evidence were to be reinstated. The historic surrounds, including pilasters and fascia, were also repaired where they had been damaged by later works or had deteriorated.
Nos. 49, 51, 53, 55 & 57 Wardwick
This parade of Grade II listed shops is at the centre of an attractive row of historic properties, located in Wardwick in the centre of Derby. Numbers 49-55 occupy a mid eighteenth-century building, which was converted to commercial use in the nineteenth century. Number 57, despite being of a later date (1890s), unlisted and in a completely different architectural style – was connected to its earlier neighbour through the surviving details of their historic shop fronts.
Through the PSiCA scheme, the unattractive, modern features of each property were removed. The surviving details of the late-Victorian/Edwardian era shop fronts were used to inform the design of the whole row. A continued mixture of commercial businesses continued to occupy the premises after the completion of the works.
Nos. 41, 43, 45 & 47 Wardwick
Located on Wardwick, this Grade II-listed building features three separate retail units and a separate access to the upper floors. The property was originally constructed as a dwelling, likely around the late-seventeenth/early-eighteenth century, before being adapted for retail use during the late-nineteenth century. Prior to the scheme, the units had a variety of problems which needed to be resolved, including the installation of inappropriate shop fronts and signage during the twentieth-century, advanced decay on a surviving historic door and its surrounds, and the deterioration of the upper floors of the property.
Through the PSiCA scheme, the original Victorian-era shop fronts were reinstated, based on historic evidence, as well as the historic door. The surviving shop surrounds, including pilasters and fascia, were repaired where possible, or reinstated to their original design. The issues within the upper floors were also resolved, including repairs to the render and a reconfiguration of the rainwater goods.
No. 26-27 Sadler Gate
Located on Sadler Gate, No. 26-27 is an unlisted late-Victorian property in close proximity to seven designated heritage assets. Prior to the grant, the property had been fitted with an modern shop front which was inappropriate for the building, and which negatively impacted upon the historic setting of Sadler Gate. A new frontage was reinstated, with the design reflecting the late-Victorian age of the property and the surrounding buildings. This previously vacant building was soon occupied by a new retailer.